DESCRIPTION OF A PICTURE.
In the exam you will have to describe a picture. Read the following tips about how to do it. Then choose a photo of the ones in the link and prepare it.
- Look at your picture carefully and take a few moments to think before you start talking.
- Talk for all the time you are given. If you have one minute to do the task, use every second.
- Practise the useful language below so you can explain which part of the picture you are talking about.
- Panic if you don’t know the words for all the things in the picture. You don’t need to know all the words for everything in the picture if you know what to say when you don’t know an exact word.
- Get distracted and start talking about something else. Focus on the photo or picture.
- Panic if your mind goes blank. Take a deep breath, look at the picture and start again.
If you are asked to describe a photo or a picture in the exam, here is some language you can use:
What is in the picture?
In the picture I can see …
There’s / There are …
There isn’t a … / There aren’t any ..
Say what is happening with the present continuous
The man is …ing
The people are …ing
Where in the picture?
At the top/bottom of the picture …
In the middle of the picture …
On the left/right of the picture …
in front of
on top of
If something isn’t clear
It looks like a …
It might be a …
He could be …ing
Maybe it’s a …
USEFUL EXAMPLES AND ADVICE
– Also visit this website: http://www.autoenglish.org/oralexams/describing.htm
NOW CHOOSE ONE OF THESE AND PRACTISE DESCRIBING IT.